Call for Submissions: Boundless Exposed
About: Boundless Exposed is a workshop and mentoring opportunity for emerging theatre designers of color. During this two-week program, participating designers will have the opportunity to work alongside experienced mentors in shaping an installation-style design appropriate for a short play.
- We are seeking emerging theatre designers of color interested in an intensive collaboration with peers, mid-career design mentors, and professional actors and directors.
- Boundless Exposed will foster an inclusive, creative workshop process with no conceptual boundaries. Participants must be interested in exploring a text fully through design.
- Participating designers will collaborate to create a conceptual installation inspired by a short play, written by an established playwright of color.
- The workshop will consist of four design meetings over a one-week period, as well as a second week of hands-on implementation.
- The program will conclude with a public presentation of participants’ original installation design, featuring professional actors and directors. The presentation will be followed by a talkback.
Stipend: Participating designers will receive a $500 stipend upon conclusion of the program.
Application deadline: February 18th, 2019.
Design meetings: April 29th to May 5th, 2019.
Rehearsal period: May 20th to May 24th, 2019.
Load-in: May 29th to May 31st.
Final presentation: June 1st, 2019.
Who Should Apply?: We are seeking enthusiastic early-career set, lighting and costume designers eager to examine the conceptual design possibilities within a theatrical text. Participants should be committed to exploring ideas collaboratively in a boundless creative atmosphere. Designers should have an interest in networking with experienced design professionals, and should share the goals and values of our company.
Who We Are: Boundless Theatre Company is a designer-led organization seeking to investigate, push and redefine the boundaries of theatrical storytelling. Spearheaded by women and theatre-makers of color, we strive to nurture cross-cultural voices in our programming, producing aesthetically challenging and visually mesmerizing interpretations of new and existing work. Through professional productions, community arts engagement, and other programming, we foster a collaborative artistic landscape as richly and authentically diverse as our own communities.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a letter of recommendation, two samples of your work, and a letter of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of intent should explain why this program is a good fit for you, why you are interested in collaborating with Boundless, and how this experience will contribute to your career goals. All application materials should be submitted in a single PDF document with the subject line “Boundless Exposed Application.”
Submission Deadline: February 18th, 2019
This program is sponsored, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.